Monastery of Saint Dimitrija

The St. Dimitrija Monastery is situated at about 2 km to the south of the city. It was built in the XIV century and buried during the Ottoman’s rule. The monastery, dedicated to the Holy Mother, had been buried for 469 years, and its present-day appearance dates from 1855. During the digging up, a plaque has been found, which dates from XIV century. According to its architecture, the monstery dates most probably from the Serbian period. It is a one roof church, with a three side apse from the outside, and narthex on the western side, where stands a bell tower. On the slopes of the mountain towards the monastery, ruins have been found from the old Paeonic town Vila Zora, which was mentioned in the III century BC.